As I stood in line to check out, I overheard 2 men talking about how they had only bought a small amount so that there would be more food for all and not like that lady (me) who had a whole cart full of food. I had to defend myself so I explained that I had 164 young missionaries that I was trying to feed. We talked about how long I had been here and where the young missionaries were serving and what I thought about all the protests going on right now in Chile. I did pretty good expressing myself in Spanish (Elder Thompson was outside the store with the truck). Then in perfect English one of them asked where I was from - really - you speak English and make me struggle to express myself!!!!As we were loading the truck, I caught the man explaining to a woman what we were doing and got a thumbs up from him.
We had an appointment to look at another apartment that is within walking distance from the mission office. (life going on normally) We took the President with us to look at it. Had we been alone, we would have rejected the apartment because of how nice it is and it is expensive but the President wants the Senior Missionaries living within walking distance and we all felt like the Lord had put this apartment into our hands. So, we will be moving in a couple of weeks into a very nice apartment! Fotos to come when we get moved in.
We had hoped that the demonstrations would end today, but this is happening right now!
At 6:30 the police estimate that 820,000 people have joined together in the Plaza Italia.
Miles
de manifestantes se encuentran en el sector de Plaza Italia para participar en
la actividad que denominaron como “la marcha más grande de Chile”. Esta
movilización se da a una semana que desde que inició el estallido social de
manera nacional, que ha incluido que varias regiones del país se encuentren en
estado de emergencia y con toques de queda durante las noches.
La
idea de esta manifestación es concentrarse en Plaza Italia desde las 17:00
horas. Sin embargo, el llamado no era hacerlo solo en Santiago, ya que esta
movilización se está replicando en ciudades como Concepción, Rancagua, Viña del
Mar, Copiapó, ente otros lugares.
This did not happen only in Santiago but also in Concepcion, Rancaqua, Vina de Mar, Copiapo and many other places.
We just pray that it stays peaceful. The President and his cabinet have been meeting today but from what we are hearing, the people are not excepting any of their proposals to end the crisis. We still have a curfew over 15 of the 16 regions of the country from 10pm to 5am. We missionaries are to be in our apartments by 4pm each evening. Hermano Martinez and his father came in again today to do some service calls for us and they will deliver the pouch (mail from home) to Gabriela and Cordillera Zones. Nothing will pick up spirits like letters from home! So thankful for the Martinez's.
We send our love to all. We are doing fine. Just wish we could get out of the office more but for now we have to conserve fuel and be available in case of an emergency. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Till tomorrow, Chao!

No comments:
Post a Comment