Elder Hughes wrote a poem to his son who is getting married this weekend. Elder Thompson and I agreed with everything he said and we don't want to loose it so we are putting it into our blog book so we will have it forever.
Do as I Say, Not as I Do
A toast to our son & our brand newest daughter,
Don't really know how he won her or caught her.
But now that you're hitched, Dad's got some words of advice,
So your marriage is fabulous! Not just average or nice.
Marriage is fragile so handle with care.
Don't choke it or starve it, let it wrinkle or tear.
Neither drop it, neglect it, nor give it a bend,
Cause once it is broken, its terrible hard to mend.
So, here's some ideas, I've written for you,
But, please "Do as I say, not as I do".
Never lie to your spouse, not big ones or small.
Speak only Truths, standing courageous and tall.
Lies once their spoken, can never stay hushed,
And once they unravel, your integrity's crushed.
Praise her often, let your Compliments flow.
In public and private, let her and the world know ---
Of her eyes and her hair, and her stylish attire,
How her walk and her smile send your blood pressure higher.
Your parents have been married forever and a day,
And while mom is practically perfect in every way,
I've stumbled, I've fallen, my crashing never stops.
I'm an insensitive bull in my wife's china shop.
I'll say it again, as when you were a kid,
Please, "Do as I say, not as I did".
Go out on dates, at least once a week,
Take the kids on vacation, fun adventures to seek.
Watch a movie Together, water ski on the lake,
Go see the Yankees, mix brownies and bake.
Best to Talk about everything under the sun,
Bout money, bout sex, bout daughters and sons,
Bout chores, bout laundry, bout the truck in the hanger,
Just clear the air early. Don't retire in anger.
Money is the source of the most bitter fights,
Pay the mortgage, buy shoes, keep on the lights.
Plan a budget together, live well in your means,
But save some for dates, retirement, and your wife's sexy jeans.
Yes - -If I've said it once, I've said it a ton,
Do as I've said, not as I've done.
Each child of God is put here on earth,
To learn and to grow, from the first day of our birth,
We're much more than mortals having spiritual turns,
We're eternal spirits sharing this earthly sojourn.
In addition to money, working all day and all night,
Consider some time for your spiritual height.
Now just you two - -through your blood sweat and tears,
But your children need God in their most formative years.
Take them to church, read a scripture or two,
Kneel down and pray --your kids, wife and you.
When your kids bring up religion, don't just wink with a nod,
Teach them --- Show them that you believe in God.
Be the Best Father, as a Husband be true,
Tell them, "Do as I say, and Do as I do".
I love that!,
ReplyDelete