It's hard to believe that we are already into August. Dirk and Beckie asked Kim Orr, Lydia Jackson, and I to sing at Dirk's funeral so we tried to practice every chance we got. We are singing a "bluegrass" song that none of us have heard before. It's called "There is a Time". AnnaBelle Villa, Dirk's granddaughter decided she wanted to sing with us. Sara Hope came up from Salt Lake City to play for us. We tamed it down and the message was wonderful. The funeral was on the 3rd, Saturday. We opened the temple; the Harris' came in about 9:30 to take over and we went back about 4 to close. The funeral was a wonderful tribute to Dirk. It was like being in the old Jerome 2nd Ward. The Twitchell's, Micky Young's, Deloy and Matt Thueson, The Butt's, The Orr's, The Jackson's, and many more. It was a great celebration to a very dear friend. We ran home for a nap before we headed back to the temple to close.
When we got up, I noticed that there was a message from Linda that Mom was not doing well and was in bed. We drove straight to Serenity. Mom roused and visited with us for a few minutes than went right back to sleep. We went to the temple. I stayed until 7 and then went back to stay with Mom. Everyone else left and I spent a few hours alone with my dear Mother. We all knew that she was preparing to go "Home", and we called everyone to come if they wanted to see her alive but could give no guarantees of how long she had. Dick, Sharon and Linda all decided to come as soon as they could with the hopes to be able to say good-bye in person. Sharon arrived on Sunday evening and took the night shift so that Mom would not be left alone. She is on Morphine to handle the pain. Lon and I visited on Sunday afternoon.
I went over on Monday morning. Sharon had had a very rough night as Mom had been very agitated, and the care center didn't get her the meds on time. Mom was agitated when I got there, and I sang "Whenever I Hear the Song of a Bird" to her and she settled down and was at peace. Sharon went to Connie's to get a nap and Judy and I spent the afternoon with Mom. Mom again got very agitated, and it took 2 primary songs to calm her this time. I will always cherish that memory of being able to help in such a small way.
We were to open on Tuesday, but President Harris had a dental appointment, so he opened, we took over at 11:30 and the Harris's returned at 6:30 to close as we have to open for the next 2 days. Mick and Linda arrived and also Haylee Self, so we didn't go to Mom's till after our shift. Dick and Kyla arrived with their son, Clay and his son, Aiden. We had a nice visit. Mom did rouse enough to recognize everyone who came this day. Dick and Kyla spent two nights with us and headed back home on Thursday morning. After our morning shift, we again visited with Mom. She can't last much longer.
We are supposed to close today, Friday the 9th. I ran over to spend time with Mom. Only Judy and I were there, and we spent time sorting much of Mom's clothes. I ran home to shower and get ready for the temple at 11. I had just stepped out of the shower when Judy texted that Mom had passed away at 12:00. I had just missed being there with her. 😪 We called President Harris to cover for us and we headed to Serenity.
.jpg)
Lon decided that he needed a picture, but I didn't want to remember Mom the way she looked so Linda covered her up. Linda, Connie, Judy, Nancy and Sharon. So thankful to share this sacred time with my sisters. Lon and Mike were also there. Mick had left this morning to pick up some things from Utah that they were in need of. The mortuary came to pick up Mom and we decided that we would empty her room right then and there. None of us ever want to have to enter Serenity again. With the 7 of us things went very fast, and we were able to get the room emptied and even met with the mortuary at 4 to plan the services. This was a very tough day. We know that Mom is out of pain, with Dad and her family, but we will miss her. Such a sad but happy day. We spent the evening calling family.
Judy, Debbie, Mom and Connie
She loved getting her hair done, just hated to get into the chair
Ginger visiting Grandma
Shayla with Grandma
Grandma with Nancy, Shayla, Ginger, Mindi during covid when we couldn't enter Serenity and had to visit from the window
Sharon and Connie with Mom
She spent 5 years in Serenity. She was well cared for but always longed to be able to go home, which was not possible. Mom is a symbol of patience, love, kindness, loyalty, truly a precious daughter of God. She will be missed but we are happy that she is with our dad again, after 16 years.
On Sunday the 11th, we had a Shift Coordinators meeting and explained the changes that are coming on the 13th. Lon and I are running on empty; we are so tired, but the 3-hour meeting went well, and we pray for our Shift Coordinators. They have a lot of work to do to be ready for this week of changes.
Monday the 12th Linda, Sharon, Judy and I met at the florist to pick the flowers for the funeral. We went to Arlene's, and she did an amazing arrangement for us.
I got Mom's temple clothes all ironed and delivered to Farnsworth's. Linda, Jackie Howell and I then went to the church to start practicing the music for the services.
Mother had her funeral service written down. She had asked her nephew, Jan Newman, to be the speaker long ago. Sharon reached out to him to see if he remembered and would be willing to do it for Mom,
Poor Dick has to do the life sketch like he did for Dad's service and we girls are to sing. Mom has about 10 songs chosen that we can choose from. Linda will play but none of my sisters feel like they can sing. Mom specifically reminded me when I told her about Dirk's funeral that there would be no congregational singing at hers. I had to honor those wishes so with Linda and Jackie Howell we prepared the music that Mom had asked for.
We spent the week on the PM shift. The new endowment changes have brought people to the temple. Every session has been full, and our workers are doing a great job implementing the changes. We are so thankful for a living Prophet who receives ongoing revelation. We are so thankful for the sealing power and the promise that we can be together forever.
On Friday morning, Lon went golfing with Mick while we girls dressed Mom and Judy did her hair for one last time. Jackie, Linda and I went to the church to practice for tomorrow and Lon met up with Justin, Shayla and Ginger to golf. When we got to the church, we found the podium standing as tall as it could, and it wouldn't go down. The control box was very warm, so we called for help. The control box was disconnected so we wouldn't have a fire, but the podium was up for good. As Jan put it, " I didn't know that you had to be at least 6'2" to speak at this funeral." Jackie and I put a mike beside the podium to sing into, we are not that tall. 😜 That evening we had a BBQ for Diana, Darla, Justin, Shayla, Justin, Mindi, Ginger, Sarah, Eisley (Tracy is to be home about 11 from his Bomb School Training). Dick and Kyla and Ryan and Christy came to visit later.
Saturday morning, Lon took his daughters to the golf course and played a quick 2-man best ball round with them.
Mindi was disappointed that she had missed out on yesterday's game, so Dad wanted to make it up to her. They came home for breakfast and showers to get ready for the funeral and found the power was out! 😬 Lon hurriedly hooked up the generator and everyone got ready on time.



Jackie and I sang 3 songs together, I sang a solo and the grandkids that felt like they could, sang "I am a Child of God". Jan did an amazing job, and Dick was able to do the life sketch. It was so hard for both Dick and I but with the Lord's help, we did it for Mom. It was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman.
Poor Judy had her shoe break and she and Debbie traded shoes, Debbie wearing her sneakers.
it's a family joke that at every family gathering, someone takes a photo of Debbie just as she takes a bite of something. She reenacted this for me.😂
All of the grandsons weren't able to attend, but those who were able were the pall bearers.
Tracy, Clay, Richard, Ryan, Chris, Josh, Alec, Dennis Aaron and Jake.
We lined up, oldest to youngest
Lon said that with Mom gone, we may never get everyone together again, so he made sure that we got this photo taken.
We added our spouses, Mom's other kids.
We had so many of our cousins come, the day was very special, and emotionally draining.
Debbie, Linda, Shauna, Sharon
Connie, Dick, Nancy, Judy
Cousins, Back- Darla, Jan, Dennis, Diana
Debbie, Linda, Sharon, Connie, Jeannie, Nancy, Karen, Kathie
The Lon Thompson Family
Tracy, Shayla, Nancy, Lon, Ginger, Mindi
Adding our "other kids"
Sarah, Tracy, Justin, Shayla, Ginger (Debbie wasn't able to come) Mindi and Justin
Tracy, Shayla, Ginger, Mindi
All of Justin's kids were able to come but left before we got a picture.
Riley, Justin, Shayla, Kyleigh with Braxton and Hendrix
Ryanne and Gideon are out of country vacationing
Tracy, Eisley, Sarah
Because we are the only ones still living in Jerome, after the funeral we had a constant stream of family coming by to visit. Sharon and Shauna came to pick up Sharon's packages sent from Brigitte by way of Mindi. All of our kids headed for home. Dick and Kyla, with Ryan and Christy were the last ones to leave. They came by to pick up the end table and Christmas village pieces and table that they are taking home with them. After getting a hug and good-bye from Dick, I walked him to the door where he gave me a second hug. I was a little surprised, but I think he and I cherished the miracles we had seen today. He was so thankful to have been in the arms of all his sisters today, healing had taken place. How I love this quiet, giant of a man brother of mine.
Sunday morning, I was done. There was nothing left. I stayed in bed as Lon went to church. When he got home, he gave me a blessing and I went back to bed. I heard Linda's voice and knew that she and Mick had come to visit, but I stayed in bed. Trying to keep from having a full blown minears attack.
Monday morning, not 100 % but no time to sit down today. Lon, Laron, and Ron are heading fishing this afternoon but first we need to get the corn into the freezer. Cody Bingham delivered 234 ears of corn this morning. LaRon helped Lon husk them while I got them washed and ready to process. It took us about 5 hours and then Lon and LaRon finished loading the camper and headed to Mackey Reservoir.
Ron Bloxham arrived Tuesday morning and they fished till Wednesday afternoon before returning home.
They were thrilled to land some Kokanee salmon
Glad they were able to finally use their fishing camper
While they were gone, I got as much rest as I could. Connie came over and we wrote thank you cards. I went to lunch with Barb and worked on the Spanish translation for our training for Wednesday night. I feel a little listless and lost but starting to get some energy back.
At our Thursday TLC meeting, we learned that Derlin was not doing well. His doctors have told him that he had to figure out a way to let go of stress or he would be having another heart attack. The odd hours we keep was also a threat to his life. He and Nancy plan on spending the week they have off alone at the cabin to decide whether to ask to be released or not. Our prayers are with them
Friday, the 23rd, we opened. We had just finished our mid shift preparation meeting when Sister Harris met me in the hall and told me I had an important message on our desk. The Harris's had come in early to attend a session before they started their evening shift. The message read, "Call Sharon immediately. Death in Family". I was not prepared when she told me that our little brother, Dick, had passed away in his sleep.
We just buried Mother 6 days ago!😢 Totally in shock, Lon and I came home, and the Harris's took over.
I spent the next few hours crying with my sisters. Lon and I spent a few hours letting family and friends know. Found out that the funeral will be on Wednesday the 28th, only 5 days away. Lon told me that he would take me. He would give me a blessing and we could pray for a miracle, but he honestly did not believe that I would make it to the funeral without falling. I am on the edge and can feel it. I don't think I would make it either. My head says that I have to be there, but this tired body says no. It was so hard to tell Kyla that we would not be there, but I know in my heart that it was the right decision.
I ordered flowers
They turned out wonderful
So thankful for the pictures they shared
Sharon is holding a picture of me so I could be in the photo too.
Dick's family, Shannon, Christy, Kyla and Clay
Dick's services were very well done. A wonderful tribute to my little brother. We watched it on our TV with the feed from Kyla's ward. Shirley Buttram came over and watched it with us. Mom's passing was a blessing for her but dealing with Dick's passing has been hard for me. He was just so full of life, in the middle of building a new home, and enjoying his grandchildren. Little brothers aren't supposed to die first.
We spoke at the Jerome Stake Conference and were privileged to sing in the stake choir with Carson and Sue. Wonderful conference. On the 31st, we had to close so we couldn't attend the 90th birthday party for a dear friend, Wayne Patheal so we went to visit with he and Pauline before our shift.
We still can't take good selfies!
Pauline managed the Majestic Meadows Mobile Home Park for years. We had 5 rentals there and were always moving in or out used homes from there. They had a home there also that we remodeled for them. Salt of the earth people.
One last happening for August, Tracy did fantastic at his Bomb School. He only missed one question in all his tests and had no trouble with his high blood pressure.
zoom in on that smile! He was happy to get home to his family. So proud of him!
I'm really happy to have August 2024 come to an end. It has been a month of sadness, reflection, memories and joy all mixed together. I miss Mom and Dad and Dick. I'm thankful that we will be together again. I'm thankful for the sealing powers of the temple that make that possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment